Tuesday (Our Lady of Lourdes)
- Normal Tuesday and normal morning routine. MP in the cathedral.
- Met with the Finance Committee of the diocese. The main work was to tweak the 2014 operating budget approved by Synod in light of actual pledges from our Eucharistic Communities, not mere educated estimates. This is an annual ritual necessitated by the fact that the minimum 15% of net disposable income from Parish X for Year Y is based on actual receipts for Year Y-1. There’s no lag year, as is the case in many dioceses. There are pros and cons to this system, but it does require the sort of minor corrective action that we will ask Council to take later this month.
- I went straight from the finance meeting to a scheduled telephone conference call, a regular review of the Putnam Trust investment portfolio with my effective co-trustee and the investment management people at U.S. Trust (Bank of America).
- Lunch at home. Leftovers.
- Throughout the afternoon, in bits and pieces, attended to issues related to the youth pilgrimage to Canterbury.
- Refined and printed a working script of my homily for this Sunday at Trinity, Jacksonville.
- Processed a slough of emails that had accumulated over the weekend, yesterday, and during the day to day.
- Evening Prayer in the cathedral.