Tuesday (Martyrs of Memphis)
by Bishop Daniel
on September 9, 2014
- Task planning for the week at home. 88 potential action items for this week. Ambitious.
- Morning Prayer in the cathedral.
- Got reacquainted with my desk by sorting, culling, and otherwise processing the stack of hard-copy items (correspondence, solicitations, newsletter, etc.) that had accumulated there during my absence. In response to something in that pile, initiated a round of telephone tag with the bishop of a diocese in which I have a DEPO parish. Also discovered that there’s something wrong with our phone system and I can’t access my voicemails for the time being.
- Examined, consulted with the Archdeacon over, and signed a Letter of Agreement between the parish and a priest that had been negotiated while I was away. Grateful that substantive and positive things can still happen even when I’m not around.
- Reviewed and approved a Marital Judgment request.
- Dashed off an email to the Rector’s Warden of a parish in transition, asking for a phone conversation.
- Wrote a note of condolence (via email) to a priest and his wife who have recently suffered a very sad death in their family.
- Consulted with the Administrator regarding lunch arrangements for a meeting we are hosting in the office later this week.
- Reviewed the revised weekday Mass rota for the cathedral chapel. Wednesday is generally my day.
- Lunch from La Bamba, eaten at home.
- Had that phone conversation with the Rector’s Warden whom I had emailed earlier.
- Responded to a scheduling query from a rector whose parish I will be visiting next month.
- Attended to a small piece of Nashotah House business via email.
- Attended to two relatively small pieces of diocesan synod business via email.
- Did some last minute recruiting for the chairmanship of one of our canonical commissions.
- Responded (affirmatively) to a last-minute invitation to an event in the Chicago area week after next that will delve more deeply into Renewal Works, which I believe has the potential to play a significant role in forming our people as disciples so they can then embrace apostolic ministry.
- Took care of some routine personal organization tasks related to the transition from one calendar month to the next.
- Attended to some chores related to setting the agenda for next month’s meeting of the Nashotah House board of trustees.
- Evening Prayer in the cathedral.