Thursday (St Iranaeus)
by Bishop Daniel
on June 28, 2018
- Up and out in time to retrieve the Chakupewas at 0800 and drive them to Decatur for a breakfast meeting with a well-connected and influential business and civic leader who has broad experience and deep interest in development across Africa, including several trips to Tanzania. While they talked, I had breakfast about a hundred yards away with Deacon Chris Gregory and Fr Dick Swan.
- Back to Springfield for futile visits to a CVS and Wal*Mart to receive some funds through MondayGram from a friend of the bishop’s in Kentucky. Fraud protection protocols were set so high that it just couldn’t happen. So I spoke with the Kentucky donor. He agreed to send me a check in the mail and I cashed a discretionary fund check for the same amount and gave the cash to Bishop Elias.
- Dropped our guests back at the Double Tree and came home for some lunch.
- Headed back over to take them on a small shopping expedition, then to the office while I tried to catch up on a few things, mostly trying to intervene pastorally but firmly in a situation in one of our communities that is just getting slightly out of hand.
- Toward home at 4:45 in the midst of a quite dramatic thunderstorm to retrieve Brenda, then to the Double Tree to retrieve the bishop and Lucy, and bring all to the cathedral. We had a lovely evensong in his honor, followed by a very nice light supper, where Bishop Elias got to share some about the ministry of the Diocese of Tabora.