Thursday (St Gregory the Illuminator)
by Bishop Daniel
on March 23, 2017
- Intended to complete my usual Thursday early morning workout, but my treadmill developed mechanical difficulties midcourse, so I had to add a supplementary afternoon walk.
- After everything, at the office around 9:45. Morning Prayer in the cathedral.
- Sent emails recruiting people to specific roles in the Chrism Mass.
- Followed through with a couple of bits of administrivia–one related to Cursillo, one related to Nashotah.
- Tended by email to some pressing personal/family business for about 25 minutes.
- More attention to the Chrism Mass: selected the hymns and service music, purchasing three items from RiteSong in the process. Finished a rough draft of the service booklet.
- Lunch from KFC, eaten at home.
- Spoke by phone with the Dean of Nashotah House.
- Spoke by phone (prearranged weeks ago) with a sociologist from Ithaca College in New York. It was an interview for a research project he’s working on that looks to document how church communities are dealing with the changes in church and society around same-sex marriage.
- Paid attention to some organizational details pertaining to our June/July visit to our companion diocese of Tabora (Tanzania).
- Developed my next Lenten teaching series presentation to the “rough notes” stage, available for further development and refinement next week.
- Walked laps around the interior of the cathedral for about 20 minutes to get to my 10,000 step goal.
- Opened the file on sermon prep for Easter VI (May 21 at Emmanuel, Champaign)–said my prayers and took an initial pass at the readings, making a few tentative notes.
- Evening Prayer in the office.