Thursday (Eve of All Hallows)
by Bishop Daniel
on October 31, 2013
- Quality time on the treadmill first thing in the morning, per my Thursday custom.
- At the local urgent care clinic right when they open at 9:00 to obtain prescriptions for an antimalarial and a strong antibiotic–the former to take prophylactically and the latter to have on hand while in Tanzania. It was nearly 10:00 before I got out of there.
- Prepared the readings and mentally hatched a homily for the 12:15 cathedral Mass, which it was my turn to celebrate.
- Spoke by phone with Fr Swan in Decatur as he wore his Chair-of-Commission on Ministry hat.
- Began processing my email inbox, which was inordinately time-consuming because it prompted me to do such things as draft a fundraising appeal letter for Nashotah House and answer inquiries on a range of sensitive issues.
- Presided and preached at the regular midday liturgy in the cathedral chapel.
- Lunch from Micky D’s (McRib is back!), eaten at home.
- Re-engaged the inbox.
- Journeyed to Illinois National Bank and obtained the cash the three of us journeying to Tanzania will need for in-country air travel and hotel lodging.
- Put meat on the bones of a homily for the feast of Christ the King (27 November at Emmanuel, Champaign).
- Finally took care of a long-delayed bit of work I had promised to do for the diocesan stewardship committee.
- Put meat on the bones of a homily for Advent Sunday (1 December at All Saints, Morton).
- Evening Prayer for the Eve of All Hallows in my office.