- Long treadmill workout to start the day.
- Morning Prayer in the cathedral, around 0930.
- Sat with my notes on the readings for Proper 18, when I will preach at my DEPO parish in Mississippi, until they yielded a homiletical message statement. It feels like labor and delivery. (OK, not literally, but …)
- There are certain ministries one hopes there is never a need for, but it’s good to be prepared, just in case. Exorcism is one of these. I took a balcony-level look at some pastoral-liturgical materials, made some notes, and had a pertinent conversation.
- Opened a sermon prep file on Proper 19 (16 September in Robinson)–said my prayers, took a pass at the readings, made some preliminary notes.
- Lunch at home. Leftovers.
- Packed and got organized for three nights away.
- Left with Brenda at 2:30 for STL. Retrieved Bishop Elias and Lucy Chakupewa from there arduous journey (four flights, more than 24 hours) from Tabora, Tanzania. Checked us all in at the Hilton Garden, O’Fallon (which feels like my summer home now), got settled, then took them to dinner.