- Usual AM routine. Morning Prayer in the cathedral. With Sue on vacation and the Archdeacon away on state business (he serves as an appointed member of the Ethics Commission), I had the Round House to myself. Tried not to cause too much damage, surprising a few people by being first up on the phones and declaring it “casual Friday” by showing up in khakis and a blue button-down shirt. No one saw me, though.
- Spent the morning and the first part of the afternoon producing a draft of a homily for when I visit St Matthew’s, Bloomington a week from this Sunday. Sometimes sermons just seem to write themselves and sometimes it’s like giving birth. This was more toward the latter.
- Lunch at home. Leftovers.
- Had a good phone conversation with Cameron Nations, a first-year seminarian from our diocese at the University of the South.
- Spoke by phone with the dean of the Darrow Deanery ahead of this pre-synod meeting this Sunday.
- Spent some prayer time on You Tube. Seriously. There are a couple of seriously fine hymn texts having to do with the cross of Christ, set to some seriously fine music. Holy Cross Day duly observed.
- Laid out the broad strokes of my address to the 2012 annual synod of the diocese next month. Lots of development and refinement still ahead.
- Evening Prayer in the cathedral.