To all God’s beloved in the Episcopal Diocese of Springfield, who are called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
The Election Committee thanks you for your continued prayers which strengthen us as we attempt to discern God’s will and purpose in the election of the 12th Bishop of Springfield. To that end, we are excited to announce that the Standing Committee approved the timeline for the election and consecration of our 12th Bishop. The approved timeline is located on the Diocese of Springfield website. The timeline will also be available on Diocesan social media sites by the end of the week.
A technology survey was completed in January by each Eucharistic Community. We discovered that some churches may lack technology to complete digital surveys or conduct virtual meetings. The Listening Committee (a subcommittee of the Election Committee) is working diligently to develop a laity and clergy survey process that is available and accessible to everyone, including paper copies. The survey will help identify the desired qualities of our next bishop. Next, laity and clergy survey results will be analyzed and presented to the Diocese through area meetings in conjunction with actual Listening sessions, where we hear from you. Once a comprehensive picture forms of the desired qualities for our next bishop that information will be used to complete the Diocesan profile.
The entire Election Committee meets on the second Saturday of each month. Discussions and planning for the critical steps in the bishop election process continue. Some of these include:
- Making the Diocesan Profile available to all potential nominees based on your input through our listening phase.
- Screening nominees’ applications and forwarding complete applications (after the appropriate completed background and reference checks) to the Nominating Synod delegates.
- The Nominating Synod will then prayerfully discern and select from the initial slate of nominees and elect the final candidates who will move forward in the process.
- Conducting “walk-abouts” throughout the Diocese with the final candidates (again, how this will be done is still uncertain due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Everyone will have the opportunity to engage with and provide input about who they discern should be our 12th Bishop).
- Providing the Electing Synod delegates input to aid in the selection of the Diocese of Springfield’s Bishop Elect.
Please note. The Synod dates mean that those elected at your 2021 Annual Meeting, if you are having one, are the delegates who will vote at the Annual, Nominating, and Election Synods.
Finally, to ensure that everyone can stay up to date during the election process for our 12th Bishop, please refer to the Bishop Search section of the Diocesan website. Updates will also appear in the monthly Diocesan eNewlsetter and Springfield Current. Additionally, updates will be posted to Facebook , Twitter, and Instagram.
If you would like to contact the Election Committee, you may do so here: Contact Us: Bishop Search – Diocese of Springfield or contact either of us directly.
Please continue to pray for the Election Committee members and that their work will be pleasing to God!
May the God of hope fill us with all joy and peace in believing through the power of the Holy Spirit
The Reverend Sherry Black
Chair, Election Committee
Co-Chair, Election Committee