Friday (St Patrick)
by Bishop Daniel
on March 17, 2017
- Task planning at home, Morning Prayer in the cathedral.
- Yet more consultation with the Archdeacon on insurance issues.
- Phoned my doctor’s office to arrange a prescription refill.
- Read and responded to a couple of Ember Day letters from seminarians. Saw to a small bit of related administrative work.
- Reworked an old sermon for Lent IV and repurposed it for use at Christ the King, Normal on the 26th.
- Took a brisk constitutional down Spring Street, over to Second, and back up to the office. Spoke by phone to one of our clergy on an emerging pastoral/administrative issue while doing this. Yes … synergy.
- Attended briefly to another small administrative concern.
- Began rough prep on my next Lenten teaching series presentation at the cathedral.
- Lunch at home. Leftovers.
- Finished the aforementioned Lenten teaching series work.
- Conferred briefly with the Dean on a couple small matters.
- Conferred briefly with the directress of the cathedral Altar Guild on a couple of small matters.
- Spoke by phone once again with the priest I had talked to in the morning.
- Took my homiletical message statement for Lent V and teased it out into a plotted outline from which I can create a draft text next week.
- Took another brisk walk, this time west to Walnut, north to Edwards, back over the Second and down to the office. This Fitbit is making an exercise fiend out of me.
- Friday prayer: Spent a “holy hour” (literally, more like a “holy 35 minutes”) in silent prayer in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament. While I was there, prayed the evening office, just a bit early.
- Consulted commentaries on the readings for Easter III, in preparation for preaching at St Bartholomew’s, Granite City on April 30.
- Dashed off an email to a prospective candidate for a parish vacancy.