Friday (St Cyprian)
- Morning Prayer in the car en route to a 9am meeting in Decatur. St John’s is hosting the 136th synod of the diocese, so I got together with the rector and the music director (and the deacon in the room to keep us honest) to plan the details of the synod Eucharist on October 11. Back in the office around 10:30.
- Played with hot wax, preparing the Letter of Institution for the celebration tomorrow of the new shared ministry between St Paul’s Cathedral and Fr Keith Roderick.
- After processing a few emails, I got to work on a rough draft of the sermon I expect to deliver in the cathedral of the see city of Tabora (Tanzania) when I lead a delegation from Springfield to our companion diocese in November.
- Lunch at a downtown Mexican-ish joint with Fr Gene Tucker, for the purpose of taking counsel together over the future of two Eucharistic Communities in the Eastern Deanery that are currently under his oversight.
- Back to work on the Tabora sermon.
- Took a phone call from Canon Mark Stevenson, a fellow board member of the Living Church Foundation, concerning some nominating committee issues.
- Took a phone call from Bishop Donald Parsons, retired of Quincy and now honorary assistant (the honor is all ours) here in Springfield, over a laundry list of questions and concerns.
- Resumed work on the Tabora sermon, finishing it just in time for …
- … Evening Prayer in the cathedral.