by Bishop Daniel
on March 16, 2018
- Usual weekday AM routine, Morning Prayer in the cathedral.
- Today’s task list was long on short items–i.e. a long list of things, most of which involved answering emails about pastoral and administrative matters, responding to requests for appointments, and the like. That’s what I got started with.
- The balance of the morning was devoted to spending quality time with commentaries on St Luke’s gospel, in preparation for preaching on Easter III at St Thomas’, Salem.
- Lunch at home. Leftovers.
- Spoke by phone with a longtime good friend who is now a retired bishop. We are a support to one another.
- Another stack of email-driven pastoral/administrative/consultative engagements.
- Made lodging arrangements to attend the meeting of the Nashotah House corporation (of which I remain a member) in May.
- Canceled my registration (and hotel reservation) to attend the scheduled triennial synod of Province V nest month. #cutbackonunnecessarytravel
- Processed my physical inbox: scanning, categorizing, tagging.
- Put on my best pastor’s hat to respond by email to a message from a lay communicant in the diocese in which I had to give an answer that I know disappointed the person. Time will tell whether my efforts to maintain cordiality and goodwill while doing so will succeed.
- Friday prayer: Lectio divina on the OT daily office reading for tomorrow–Moses and the burning bush.
- Evening Prayer in the office.